Date of Issue: 12th January 2021
Deadline for submission of application: 14th January 2021
1. Brief Introduction of EACHRights
Established in May 2010, The East African Centre for Human Rights (EACHRights) is a non-partisan, regional, non-governmental organization that seeks to initiate and undertake programs that promote, protect, and enhance Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights (ECOSOC Rights) in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania for vulnerable and marginalized groups.
EACHRights has been promoting the Right to Education in Kenya through research, advocacy, policy engagement, awareness creation and capacity building since 2015. Over the past two years, EACHRights’ activities have created opportunities to further the right to education agenda in the pursuit of ensuring that all children have access to free quality basic education.
2. Rationale and Objectives of the Assignment
Elimu Yetu Coalition (EYC) is Kenya’s National Education Coalition, established in 1999 as the National platform for Civil Society Organizations, Professional groupings, Education and Research institutions and other non-state actors in Kenya’s education sector – to lobby for the implementation of Education for all (EFA) goals. The coalition brings together over 140 member organizations and utilizes a rights-based approach (RBA) in its campaign initiatives. County Education Networks (CENs) provide a platform for tracking education campaigns at the grassroots and enable communities to engage in education processes at the county level. The CENs are open to all registered civil society organizations country wide, under the umbrella of Elimu Yetu Coalition (EYC). CENs play a crucial role in galvanizing and coordinating civil society activities at the local level.
Accordingly, EACHRights is seeking an experienced and dynamic consultant to conduct Financial Management and Resource Mobilization Training for 7 CENs to support them to play their role within local education systems.
3. Tasks and Scope of the Assignment
The tasks and scope of the consultancy will be to prepare and conduct a training on the following subtopics under financial management and resource mobilization:
- Financial Policies & Practices for Nonprofit Organisations (how to establish financial policies and procedures)
- Basics of financial accounting and financial statements (financial statements, accounting, audits)
- Financial reporting (reporting system, internal reporting, external reporting)
- Developing operating and cash budgets
- Liquidity Management
- Cash management and banking relations
- Financial leadership (strategic planning, strategic management process, performance management systems)
- Ethics & Accountability
- Sources, methods, and trends in resource mobilisation
- Training materials including PowerPoint Presentation, handouts, pre/post-tests, feedback/evaluation forms, etc. as well as a list of the training materials’ sources.
- 1-days of training on financial management and resource mobilization.
- A high quality and comprehensive training report that includes the aggregated findings of the pre/post tests and feedback/evaluation forms.
5. Minimum Requirements and Competences
- Demonstratable prior experience in conducting trainings on financial management and resource mobilization in the not-for-profit sector.
- At least five years’ experience in financial management and resource mobilization.
- Advanced University degree in accounting, business, economics, non-profit management, international development, or related field.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills including in presentations and report writing.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Good judgment pays attention to nuance and detail, takes initiative, high sense of responsibility, tact and discretion, with sensitivity to different cultures.
The trainer will be expected to be self-motivated and able to work independently. Supervision and support will be provided by the Education Support Program Manager in EACHRights as well the Senior Campaigns Officer in Elimu Yetu Coalition.
7. Payment Terms
Payments will be made in the following instalments:
- The first installment is 25% upon the signing of contract.
- The second installment is 50% upon the delivery of the training.
- The third instalment is 25% upon the submission and satisfaction of:
– Training materials and sources.
– A high quality and comprehensive training report.
The training will be a one day training to be held in Homa Bay County. Logistical components will be handled by EACHRights.
9. Submission of Proposals
Interested candidates who fully meet the above criteria are invited to send their applications to email@example.com along with the following:
- Cover letter (indicating interest and past experiences from similar projects)
- An updated Company profile and /or Curriculum Vitae (with references)
- A detailed EOI work plan and proposal for the assignment (no exceeding xxxx pages)
- A financial proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs for each task or element in the ToR. (not exceeding 2 pages)
Applications are to be submitted on or before 5pm on January 14th 2021. The subject of the application letter or e-mail should read ‘Application for the Training consultancy on Financial Management and Resource Mobilisation’ and the Cover letter should be addressed to:
The Chief Executive officer
East African Centre for Human Rights – EACHRights
P.O. Box 19494-00100
Only e-mail applications will be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and only successful candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.