Terms of Reference
Consultancy to provide Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA) Support to the Eastern Africa Child Rights Network (EACRN)
- About EACRN
The Eastern Africa Child Rights Network of Civil Society Organizations (EACRN) was established in March 2014 to coordinate efforts by civil society organizations in Eastern Africa in advocating for children’s rights. Presently, the network’s membership constitutes of child-focused national CSOs coalitions from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Somaliland, South Sudan, Sudan and Madagascar. The network’s mandate is to implement programmes that are focused on the realization of Children rights as contained in the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC) and the United Nations Convention on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (UNCRC). The network is hosted by the East African Centre for Human Rights (EACHRights).
The Eastern Africa, Child Rights Network, is implementing a project dubbed ‘Enhancing CSO Effectiveness in the Region of Eastern and Southern Africa’ which is a five-year program funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The purpose of the project is to facilitate an empowered, pluralistic, proactive and representative civil society in Eastern and Southern Africa influencing political, socio-economic and cultural processes at the AU, EAC and SADC for the realization of children and youth rights.
As part of capacity building initiatives, the CSO Effectiveness program requires implementing organizations to conduct Organization Capacity Assessment (OCA), at the commencement of the program. Consequent to this requirement, EACRN is seeking to engage a qualified consultant in carrying out this assignment to enhance EACRN performance by identifying existing capacity gaps, and define the recommendations for future action. The assessment will build on the 2014 OCA report and process.
Over time, with support from various development partners, EACRN has grown in scope, regional presence, number of staff and level of influence in the region. This has given the organization an edge in the promotion, protection and realization of children rights. On the other hand, the growth has also presented a lot of opportunities and lessons to learn from. Recognizing that the civil society community represents a critical constituency and development partners for advancing the Child Rights Governance in the region, EACRN, with support from Plan International, has initiated the process to assess the existing organizational capacity gaps and needs (identifying strengths and weakness) of the organization, to help the organization, adapt to the changing CSO environment. The process also includes developing realistic and time-bound strategies to address the capacity deficits of EACRN, based on the results of the assessment.
- Objectives of the OCA
The Organization Capacity Assessment process intends to provide EACRN with constructive findings that can support it in the following organizational Capacity areas:
- Drawing a roadmap from where the organization is now, and where it wants to go;
- Assessing the gap between the current reality and the future vision;
- Identifying where the organization is doing well and some of the good practices that facilitate organizational success;
- Identifying the challenges or obstacles that are constraining the progress of the organization; and
- Developing an action plan for bridging the gap and achieving enhanced organizational capacity.
The approach to be taken in this process must at a minimum include in-depth questions and analysis considering the: existence of, systems or documentation of, the knowledge of, the spread of and the use of the following areas of capacity:
- Governance & Structure
- Culture & Inclusion
- Management, HR & Staff
- Finance & Grants
5. Implentation and Quality
7. Network and Communication
8. Influence and Legitimacy
- Deliverables of the consultant
- Develop the OCA assessment tools focusing on the priority areas listed above.
- Administer the OCA assessment tools to the EACRN the EACRN Management Committee, and representation from the host organization Board of Directors, and the Secretariat during the OCA Training Workshop on 12th – 14th May 2021 in Kenya.
- Conduct an initial data consolidation from the findings and develop organizational capacity plan.
- Guide the participatory self- assessment organizational capacity in the capacity competencies mentioned above.
- Provide a leading facilitation of the development of organizational capacity strengthening and building plan for the priority areas.
- Facilitate a consultative leadership development training workshop, based on the capacity building plan, for the Board of Directors, Management Committee and all EACRN/EACHRights staff planned on 12th – 14th May 2021 in Kenya.
- Expected Outputs
- Inception Report which should also include participatory tools and clear work plan, methodology and the cost of carrying out the activity.
- Organizational Capacity Building Plan highlighting the practical actions to be done by the organization.
- A three days’ workshop for the Management Committee and Staff of EACRN/EACHRights based on the organizational capacity building plan.
- Final Report with definite recommendations for sustainable follow-up plans.
- Qualifications and Competencies
Consultants/ research institutions interested in conducting this consultancy should have the following qualifications:
- Knowledge and experience of CSO organizational capacity building & strengthening expertise.
- At least a Masters/PhD degree in a relevant discipline, i.e. Business administration or business leadership or any Social Science
- Proven experience in engaging organizational Capacity development reviews in Eastern Africa.
- Experience in research and data collection
- Knowledge of child rights and human rights
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of French is an added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience in leading and facilitating participatory processes.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex tasks being undertaken concurrently.
- Ability and capacity to conduct virtual meetings and interviews
- Experience in conducting key informant interviews and focus group discussions.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and synthesize information from several sources.
- Duration and timing of the assignment:
EACRN/EACHRights will provide administrative support and management of the consultant.
The consultancy is set to begin on 12th May 2021 and end on 21St May 2021
- Submission of Interest
Interested Consultants/companies/firms should submit an expression of interest that will include-
- Company profile/Individual CV
- A proposal (expressing interest in the Organizational Capacity Assessment, including a detailed work plan)
- A detailed quotation
The expression of interest should be submitted to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com The subject of the appearance of interest should be marked “EACRN Organizational Capacity Assessment” (EACRN/OCA). Deadline for submission shall be Monday 3rd May 2021 at 5.00 p.m (EAT).
ONLY SHORTLISTED CONSULTANTS WILL BE CONTACTED
Cover letter should be addressed to:-
Eastern Africa Child Rights Network
Cedar Court, Off Timau Road – Kilimani
P.O. Box 19494-00100 NAIROBI, KENYA