The Eastern Africa Child Rights Network of Civil Society Organizations (EACRN) was established in March 2014 to coordinate efforts by civil society organizations in Eastern Africa in advocating for children’s rights. Presently, the network’s membership constitutes of child-focused national CSOs coalitions from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Somaliland, South Sudan, Sudan and Madagascar. The network’s mandate is to implement programmes that are focused on the realization of Children rights as contained in the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC) and the United Nations Convention on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (UNCRC). The network seeks to achieve these through capacity building of national CSOs coalitions and information sharing among network members. The network also endeavors to engage with bodies such as Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in the promotion of the child rights agenda. EACRN Secretariat is hosted by the East African Centre for Human Rights (EACHRights) – Nairobi, Kenya.
The Day of The African Child (DAC) which is celebrated on the 16th day of June every year is envisioned to be a day that gives children an opportunity to express themselves and hold their governments accountable on the different issues affecting them. Based on this year’s theme “30 years after the adoption of the Charter: Accelerate implementation of agenda 2040 for an “Africa Fit for children”, there is need to engage children on what they think has been the progress in the implementation of the and agenda 2040. During the commemoration of the DAC children participation is the highlight of the day where they articulate their views and present specific recommendations addressed to all stakeholders.
The African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the child (ACERWC) is encouraging State Parties and CSOs to ensure that they move from having just an event only to commemorate, to a process that ensure meaningful Child participation.
EACRN is therefore seeking for a consultant who can provide the following;
Tasks and Scope of the Assignment
- Develop child-friendly tools and materials for effective children’s engagement with the Agenda 2040
- Carry out a survey for children on Africa fit for children
- Host a media training for Sensitizing Media on ACRWC and Agenda 2040
- Collect children voices regarding the implementation of Agenda 2040 through an essay competition
- Host and Facilitate in close collaboration with the EACRN team a virtual multi-stakeholder dialogue on ‘Africa fit for Children’ on dates agreed by the organizing team but not after 16th June 2021
- Development of an animation for Agenda 2040
- A tool for child participation in the continent
- A report on children’s voices on Agenda 2040
- A report for the 2021DAC children forum
- Duration and timing of the assignment
The assignment is expected to take a maximum of 20 days. The consultant is expected to work independently and regularly consult with the project team on work progress.
Minimum Requirements and Competences
The Consultant should have the following qualifications:
- A Masters degree in any Social Sciences or related field
- Experience working with children/ child rights organizations in Africa
- Knowledge in Child participation programming
- A good understanding of the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC) Child Rights Complaints mechanisms; African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child; and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child;
- A good understanding of Child Rights issues on the African continent.
- Submission of Interest
Interested Consultants/companies/firms should submit an expression of interest that will include-
- Company profile/Individual CV
- A technical proposal (expression of interest including a detailed work plan)
- A detailed budget/quotation for the task
The expression of interest should be submitted to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject of the appearance of interest should be marked “Day Of The African Child 2021”.
The deadline for submission shall be Wednesday 26th May 2021 at 12.00 Noon (EAT).