VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: REGIONAL DIRECTOR
DATE OF ISSUE: FRIDAY 2ND FEBRUARY, 2018
Position: Regional Director.
Tentative starting date: 1 April 2018
Duration: 1 year (with possibility of renewal)
Type of contract: Contract
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
1. About EACHRightsThe East African Centre for Human Rights (also known as EACHRights), is a non-partisan, regional Non-Governmental Organisation that seeks to promote, protect and enhance human rights in East Africa with an emphasis on economic, Social and cultural rights among the vulnerable and marginalised groups. The organization specializes on promoting the realization of the right to health and education for children.
2. Description of the positionEACHRights seeks to fill the position of Regional Director to be based in Nairobi. The Regional Director shall report to the Board, and be responsible for offering strategic leadership and proposal development as well as directing and coordinating the general functions of the organization.
3. Job DescriptionStrategic leadership
- Ensure formulation and successful implementation of the East African Centre for Human Rights programmes as is stipulated in the Strategic Plan and advocacy strategy.
- Build and sustain effective partnerships with government, like-minded organizations and other civil societies championing Childrens’ Rights.
- Provide leadership and assume responsibility for guiding the Vision and Mission of EACHRights.
- Ensure the formulation and successful implementation of EACHRights Donor funded programmes.
- Manage the programmes of EACHRights.
- Escalate the impact of EACHRights’ programmes and activities.
- Effectively fund-raise and manage resources for the organization from the current as well as new donors.
- Coordinate efficient and effective running of affairs in the office.
- Develop programmes and appropriate work plans and activities.
- Provide effective and efficient management skills for EACHRights’ Human, Financial and Information management resources.
- Create an enabling environment by focusing on knowledge sharing, capacity building and team building in the workplace.
- Advocacy and public relations
- Promote Child Rights and gender equality.
- Raise the international reputation and profile of EACHRights beyond the EAC region.
4. Qualifications and competenciesThe ideal candidate should at least possess the following qualifications and attributes, at a minimum:-
- An Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with over 10 years’ experience. A Post graduate qualification will be an added advantage.
- Masters in Law or Masters in Gender and Development Studies
- Possess working experience of 7 years (minimum), 5 of which must be with a Non-Governmental Organization at management level.
- Self-motivated, creative, strategic thinker with substantive senior level experience in working on human rights issues with a bias to Child Rights.
- Possess excellent leadership, managerial and organizational skills, including the demonstrated ability to lead programmes.
- Proven management capabilities with experience in an NGO set up.
- Demonstrate financial management skills and leadership qualities.
- Possess extensive knowledge and experience in human rights and gender issues.
- Have experience in litigation.
- Be a team player, highly self-motivated and self-driven Possess excellent writing and communication skills.
- Possess excellent writing and communication skills.
- Proficient in computers and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Experience in research will be an added advantage
5. Submission of applicationInterested candidates who fully meet the above criteria should send their applications along with an updated Curriculum Vitae, which should include 3 professional referees, one of whom must be a previous employer. The candidate MUST indicate their expected salary and include a daytime contact.
Applications are to be sent to email@example.com on or before 5.00 p.m. on Friday, 16th February 2018. The subject of the application letter or e-mail should read ‘V.A. NO. 01/2018: APPLICATION FOR REGIONAL DIRECTOR POSITION.Only e-mail applications will be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be considered and only successful candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Cover letter should be addressed to:
Board of Directors,
East African Centre for Human Rights – EACHRights,
P.O. Box 19494-00100
NAIROBI, KENYA.East African Centre for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer.